Friday, July 9, 2010

Baby Girl

And He who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." He said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." Rev 21:5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a story from the Lovelady Center, a Christian residential facility that helps women from difficult circumstances. Lovelady is a safe haven for women (and their children) who are homeless, leaving abusive relationships, recovering from addiction, or coming out of prison.


A staff member overheard two residents talking. One said to the other, "Hey Baby Girl, come over here". The staff member quickly reminded the ladies "we don't use our prison names here. We use our real names". Baby Girl replied, "but that is my real name. My mother abandoned me at birth so I was never named. My birth certificate just says 'Baby Girl'."

The staff member asked her if she'd like to get a new name. The staff member walked this lady through the process of legally changing her identity. For the first time in her life, she now has a name.

I take a lot of things for granted and then I try to be aware of that and be thankful for my home, my family, my job, the food on our table every meal. I never, not once, thought to thank God that when I was born, I was loved enough to be named, to be given an identity. Then I realize a greater truth. Despite my rebellion, in spite of all the ways I fall short of God's holiness, God has given me a new identity in Christ. I am Child of the King, Friend, Beloved. May I never forget that I have been graciously, undeservedly, and eternally blessed by a Father who knows my name. Thank you God that You are making all things new...

1 comment: